Don Camillo & Peppone
- Grown, sold, and described by Bunny Hop Seeds
- Plant growth: indeterminate
- Leaf type: regular leaf
- Time to maturity: midseason
- Packed For Sales Season: 2016-17
- Year seed harvested: May 2016
- Approx. number of seeds per pack: 15
- Germination 96% after Hot Water Seed Treatment for Fungal and Bacterial Diseases
“Don Camillo & Peppone” is a producer of dark red cherries that have a good strong flavor and a deep greenish gel. There is a different variety called “Don Camillo,” which is a beefsteak. I searched for a long time to find history on Don Camillo & Peppone, but all I could find was a listing in the tomato files of Reinhard Kraft of Germany.
“1141 Don Camillo & Peppone
Dunkelrote, gleichmäßig große Früchte wie 133, wohlschmeckend, guter Ertrag”
My faulty translation is: “Dark red; evenly size fruit as 133, palatable goods earning (bearing tasty fruits? Or tasty, good productivity?) (Note: his #133 was Fence Row Cherry).”
I usually avoid saying that a variety is rare, because I see that description overused in vendor descriptions. I will say with certainty that this one is difficult to find, at least in the US. I will limit seed packets to 15+ seeds each, in order to allow greater sharing of this interesting and tasty variety.
11 in stock