Piennolo del Vesuvio
- Grown, sold, and described by Heritage Tomato Seed
- Plant growth: indeterminate
- Leaf type: potato
- Time to maturity: mid season
- Approx. number of seeds per pack: 20+
- Vendor’s original seed source: Darell Jones, owner of CV Selected Plants. 2013.
“Piennolo del Vesuvio” is a small, pear shaped, deep red tomato. There is a distinct vertical grove on both sides of the tomato (not shown in photo, will get a better photo next year) A very unique tomato, it has extremely long keeping qualities and the flavor is very sweet if allowed to fully ripen. Piennolo del Vesuvio is grown in Italy wherever the “al piennolo” method of preserving tomatoes is practiced. To preserve off the vine for several months, remove the entire clusters when 70% of the fruit are ripe and hang in a cool, well ventilated location. Piennolo del Vesuvio is very popular with chefs and makes an excellent market tomato.
To minimize seed crosses, this variety was grown in a greenhouse isolated from insect pollenizers.
Out of stock