West Virginia Penitentiary
- Grown, sold, and described by Bunny Hop Seeds
- Plant growth: indeterminate
- Leaf type: regular leaf
- Time to maturity: midseason
- Approx. number of seeds per pack: 20
- Germination tested after Hot Water Seed Treatment for Fungal and Bacterial Diseases
“West Virginia Penitentiary” is an heirloom from around the 1950’s, from the prison farms of West Virginia. That much, everyone seems to agree on. But there are disagreements of whether this is a pink or red tomato, the consensus being red. There are differences of opinion regarding days to harvest. One site lists it as a late variety, but it was the earliest beefsteak to set fruit in my garden. Perhaps it likes the warmer climates.
My tasting notes state that the flavor is smooth, sweet, and tomatoey, with soft flesh. With the palate-friendly smooth taste, its early fruit set (for a beefsteak) and excellent productivity, this was one of my favorite red tomatoes of the season.
15 in stock